Item number: 58104
A pair of Victorian sterling silver fish servers,
London 1849 by George Adams
The pierced front sides showing floral ornaments, the handles shaped in fiddle pattern.
Very good condition without monogram or any personal inscription by one of Englands best known flatware specialists.
Serving fork: 25.6 cm / 10.07″ length; 112.9 g / 3.62 oz
Serving knive: 32 cm / 12.59″ length; 128.7 g / 4.13 oz
The George Adams silversmithy
In 1815 William Chawner established his silversmithy as a family business and gained a reputation as a specialist in high quality silver flatware. His marriage to his wife Mary led to the birth of his son William and daughter Mary Ann. After his death in 1834, his wife (also a spoonmaker and silversmith specialising flatware) took over the business on a temporary basis. It was originally intended that their son William, who had served an apprenticeship in his father’s silversmithy, should take over. However, as he pursued a clerical career, the family business was taken over in 1840 by George Adams, Mary Ann’s husband, who initially ran the silversmiths in partnership with Mary Chawner. Under his leadership the company flourished and became one of the most important manufacturers of the best quality silver flatware in a wide range of patterns. The Chawner & Co. pattern book, published around 1875, is the basis for the naming of many Victorian patterns that is still current today. Chawner & Co. continued to trade into the 1880s, using the owner’s initials as its maker’s mark (“GA”). It was sold to Holland, Aldwinckle & Slater in 1883 and continued into the 20th century by Francis Higgins Ltd.