A George II sterling silver tankard
A George II sterling silver Tankard
London 1758 by William Shaw & William Priest
A good antique sterling silver tankard with domed hinged lid. Baluster design with concentric rim and flared base. Simple curved handle with an ornamental thumbpiece and applied strapwork. The front showing a fine engraved contemporar coat of arms to the front. This tankard is in very good condition with no damage or restoration. Good set of clear and matching London silver hallmarks inside lid and on the bottom of the body, the handle unmarked. Good colour and original surface.
The engraved marital coat of arms are those of the family of Shipperdson impaled with those of an as yet unknown family. A heraldric report will be added to the tankard. William Shaw II, apprenticed to John Swift 1736, free 1748. First mark entered as largeworker 1749. Second and third marks, in partnership with William Priest, 1749 and 1759.
William Priest (or Preist), apprenticed to Richard Gurney 1740, free 1749. First and second marks entered as largeworker in partnership with William Shaw in 1749 and 1759. Third mark with his brother James Priest in 1764; they worked together until 1773.
18.5 cm / 7.28″ tall; 674.6 g / 23.79 oz, 0.85 litre capacity