58259

A good large George IV sterling silver tray

A good large George IV sterling silver tray
London 1820 by J. E. Terrey

Rectangular shaped, the rim decorated with slanted ribs and finished on the narrow sides by two handles with floral vines, similar ribs and central shell decoration. The smooth plate is decorated with an engraved coat of arms surrounded by a gathered ermine coat and shows two family crests in the form of an eagle sitting on a gloved hand and a breast picture of a panther holding a palm branch, as well as the motto “INEBRANLABLE” on the underside.
A high quality, remarkably heavily worked and large tray in authentic condition. As there was no possibility of acquiring pre-fabricated plates at this time, the tray required a high degree of good craftsmanship by the silversmith. Noteworthy that the mirror is very flat despite its size. The high manufacturing quality is also reflected by the solid execution of the handles and the edge.
The tray was a gift on the occasion of the marriage between Sir John Palmer-Acland, the first Baron of Fairfield, in Somerset County (born 11 February 1756, died 23 February 1831) and his second wife, Sarah Maria Gibbes, née Knipe (born 1753, died 19 September 1853). John and Mary were married on 5th November 1818 at St Mary’s Parish Church, Walcot in Somerset County. A heraldic identification report including a picture of the entry in the register of the Parish Church of St Mary will be attached.

63.2 cm / 24.88″ length (between the handles), 42.5 cm / 16.73″ width; ca. 4.25 kg / 149.91 oz (!)

Any other decoration is shown for illustrational purposes only and does not form part of the offer.