Item number: 16846
An Art Déco sterling silver tea service,
Sheffield 1938 by Emile Viner
This fine antique George VI sterling silver three piece tea service consists of a teapot, cream jug and sugar bowl. The pieces of this tea set have a plain panelled, octagonal form onto a collet foot. The plain body of each piece is embellished with engraved Art Déco geometric designs to the upper portion. The tea pot is fitted with plain flush hinged covers which indicates the fine quality of the service. The cover retains the original carved ivory and sterling silver finial in the angular Art Déco style. Further the teapot pot is fitted with a carved angular ivory handle. The sugar bowl and the cream jug are fitted with angular sterling silver handles matching the same style as the teapot handle.
The pieces of this antique silver tea set are a very good gauge of silver, of the well-known fine quality being typical for Emile Viner and in excellent condition.
26.2 cm / 10.31″ length, 11.1 cm / 4.37″ width, 12 cm / 4.72″ tall; 701.7 g / 22.56 oz; Capacity: 1.1 ltr.
15.3 cm / 6.02″ length, 5.8 cm / 2.28″ tall; 175 g / 5.62 oz
17.4 cm / 6.85″ length, 6.7 cm / 2.63″ tall; 218.3 g / 7.01 oz
The Edward Viner Silver Factory
The origins of the Viner’s silver factory in Sheffield date back to 1908. Emile Viner, together with his brother Adolf, managed Viners Ltd (the spelling became established in the following years), one of the largest manufacturers of cutlery and silverware in England. However, the company did not limit itself to the manufacture of silverware, but also produced objects in pewter. Initially based in Broomhall Street, Sheffield, larger premises were soon required and production was moved to Bath Street in 1912. The company’s success also derived from its adaptability: during the First World War, for example, Viners Ltd produced mainly helmets and other war-related material, and production of silver was somewhat reduced. As Jewish immigrants, Adolf and Emile changed their name from Viener to Viner in November 1925. In 1930, George V granted the silver factory the privilege of being a supplier and silversmith to the English court.
In 1932 there was a generational change in management and the silver hallmark of Viners Ltd was registered for the son and nephew Edward Viner. In 1957, Gerald Benney, one of the most important British designers of the post-war period, was appointed head of the design department. In the 1960s and 70s, David Queensbury and Stuart Devlin created successful designs for Viners. In 2014, Viners Ltd was bought by the Rayware Group, for whom it still produces mainly cutlery.