Item number: 60117
A baroque silver beaker,
Nuremberg 1660 by Johann Georg Schweigger
The tapering body decorated on all sides with chased and engraved floral decoration. The interior with remnants of the original fire gilding.
An early baroque Nuremberg beaker in exceptionally good and authentic condition.
9.6 cm / 3.77″ height, 7.9 cm / 3.11″ diameter (top rim), 6.1 cm / 2.40″ diameter (base); 138.0 g / 4.43 oz
Approx. 0.33 ltr. capacity
A characteristic feature of Johann Georg Schweigger’s silverware are engraved and chased floral decorations showing tulips, carnations and daffodils. Beakers, tankards and liturgical silver are particularly known from Schweigger, as well as a table fountain consisting of two basins.
The town mark is documented for works made between 1659 and 1660.
The Nuremberg silversmith Johann Georg Schweigger
Born in Bachhausen/Sulzbürg (today Mühlhausen near Neumarkt / Oberpfalz [Upper Palatinate]), year of birth unknown. 1641-43 apprenticeship with Hans Christoph zur Linden and 1643-47 with Georg Rötenbeck. Becomes master 1655 and 1671 – 1675 juror. Schweigger married in 1655 and died in 1679. His works are now kept in the Kestner Museum, Hanover, the Kunstmuseum Düsseldorf, the Kunstgewerbesammlung Stiftung Huelsmann, Bielefeld and the Armoury of the State Museum of the Kremlin, Moscow, among others.