Item number: 59054
A rare Art Déco sterling silver sugar dispenser,
Birmingham 1938 by Elkington & Co.
Octagonally faceted body flaring towards the upper rim and standing on a round base. The stepped shoulder crowned by a button. By pressing the button, a closure plate lifts off the base and the sugar can come out. When the button is released, the container closes.
Unusual and rare silver object of the Art Deco in excellent condition.
13.5 cm / 5.31″ tall, 5.9 cm / 2.32″ diameter (widest part); 239.4 g / 7.69 oz
Silverware by Elkington & Co.
Elkington & Co. is one of the best known names for English silver and was one of the most renowned manufacturers of silverware. The company began in Birmingham in 1836 as a small silversmithy and undertook experiments in optimising gilding techniques. This led to Elkington & Co. applying for a patent for a process of metallic electroplating in 1838. In 1840, the discoveries in the field of electroplating led to the widespread production of silver-plated goods, especially flatware. In 1842 Josiah Mason joined the company as a financier, which led to a further expansion of production capacity and the company traded as Elkington, Mason & Co. until 1861. The silverware factory exhibited with great success at the first World’s Fair of 1851. For a time Elkington also had a branch in Sydney where they also held another manufacturing factory.
Elkington gained an additional name for high quality artistic silver by registering the rights to designs by Christopher Dresser in 1885. Dresser was one of the most important designers of modern silverware of the Arts & Crafts Movement and designed for Elkington & Co. tea services, sugar bowls, teapots, claret jugs, baskets and a soup tureen, among others. Christopher Dresser’s outstanding modern designs belong to the highlights of British Arts & Crafts silver and fetch top prices on the art market today.
Elkington & Co. had the royal privilege to supply Queen Victoria and the following kings of Great Britain until the reign of King George VI. In 1963, Elkington was finally taken over by British Silverware Ltd. which in turn became a subsidiary of Delta Metal Co. Ltd. in 1971.
The name Elkington & Co. is still used today by British Silverware Ltd. as manufacturer of silverworks.