Item number: 58071
An Art Nouveau bowl with glass liner,
Heilbronn circa 1902 by Bruckmann & Söhne,
designed by Rudolf Rochga
The circular shaped bowl standing on a retracted profile and showing pierced Art Nouveau ornamentation. The upper rim showing a wave frieze. The glass insert worked in analogy to the upper rim and decorated by a central engraved star.
An elegant bowl of the Art Nouveau in immaculate condition, the glass insert also in very good condition. The bowl was produced in three sizes and was shown at the Feinmetall Ausstellung (fine metal exhibition) in Stuttgart in 1903.
Cf. a similar object in: Reinhard Sänger (et al.) “Silber aus Heilbronn für die Welt – P.Bruckmann & Söhne (1805 – 1973)”, exhibition catalogue of the Municipal Museums Heilbronn, Heilbronn 2002, p. 153.
17.5 cm / 6.88″ diameter; 6.3 cm / 2.48″ tall; 173.9 g / 5.59 oz (without glass liner)
Rudolf Rochga (Teterow 1875 – Murrhardt/Württemberg 1957)
German painter and designer, studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Munich (e.g. at Prof. Franz von Stuck). He then worked in the Vereinigte Werkstätten für Kunst im Handwerk (united workshops for art in handicraft) in Munich, where he designed wall decorations, textiles and folders. 1903 Appointment as assistant teacher for surface art and decorative painting at the teaching and experimental workshop of the Königliche Kunstgewerbeschule (Royal School of Arts and Crafts) in Stuttgart, then permanent position there as teacher and subsequent professorship.
1903 short collaboration with Bruckmann & Söhne, for whom he designed various silver hollowware such as bowls, a tea service and wine jugs.