Item number: 74130
An Art Déco sterling silver tea and coffee service with associated tray
Sheffield 1937/38 by Mappin & Webb
The teapot, coffee jug, cream jug and sugar bowl have a cushion shaped form and convex fluted rounded corners onto four alantoid shaped feet. The body of each piece shows subtle ornaments of an Art Déco style stepped fluted decoration to the upper border as well as to the decoration to the feet. The teapot and coffee jug are fitted with plain flush hinged covers which are fitted with tapering scalloped shaped ivory and silver finials. The coffee jug and cream jug both fitted with a trunkated spout. The sugar bowl with plain handles showing flower motif decorated terminals. The sugar bowl – an aspect which is unusual in english silver – has got its own lid.
This fine four piece sterling silver service is displayed on an associated Art Déco style tray whose corners and shaped handles are ornamented with similar decoration to that exhibited on the feet of the tea service pieces.
A splendid original sterling silver coffee and tea set with tray of the Art Déco era of exceptional quality and in exceptional condition. The hallmarks to the set are very clear. A good gauge of silver without any personal engraving, damage or repair. The set marked for 1938, the tray for 1937.
27.4 cm / 10.78″ length, 10.8 cm / 4.25″ depth, 14.1 cm / 5.55″ tall to the knob;
796.8 g / 25.61 oz; Capacity: 1.25 ltr. / 2.6 Pints
19.5 cm / 7.67″ length, 7.9 cm / 3.11″ depth, 19.3 cm / 7.59″ tall to the knob;
660.5 g / 21.23 oz; Capacity: 0.8 ltr. / 1.69 Pints
14.7 cm / 5.78″ length, 6.9 cm / 2.71″ depth, 7.3 cm / 2.87″ tall;
231.6 g / 7.44 oz
14 cm / 5.51″ length, 7.7 cm / 3.03″ depth, 10.2 cm / 4.01″ tall to the knob;
334.1 g / 10.74 oz
56 cm / 22.04″ length (between the handles), 49 cm / 19.29″ length (without handles), 29.5 cm / 11.61″ width; 2069.5 g / 66.53 oz
Total weight: 4092.5 g / circa 131.57 oz
The Mappin & Webb silversmithy
Mappin & Webb is one of the oldest manufacturers of English silver and has made a name for itself with high-quality silverware and silver flatware over the centuries.
Founded in 1775 by Jonathan Mappin as a workshop for silver cutlery in Sheffield, the silversmithy soon became well-known for its high-quality cutlery. In 1780, Jonathan Mappin was given the Freedom of the Cutlers Company. The „Cutlers Company of Hallamshire“ was founded in 1624 as an institution to exercise jurisdiction over cutlery manufacturers in Sheffield and the surrounding area and to promote Sheffield as a location for expertise in the manufacture of cutlery. The business was continued by Jonathan Mappin’s son Joseph and later by his grandson, also named Joseph.
The greatest expansion, however, took place in the mid-19th century when Jonathan’s four great-grandchildren rebranded the company as Mappin Brothers Ltd. The company expanded internationally, received Royal Warrants and commissions to produce silverware from various royal houses in Europe and beyond followed soon. Despite the great success of the silversmithy, three of the managing brothers retired and devoted themselves to their own enterprises, only John Mappin continued to run the business. A few years later, John Mappin joined forces with his brother-in-law George Webb to form the silversmiths Mappin & Webb, which is still well-known today.