Item number: 59034
Art Déco sterling silver bowl,
Birmingham 1937 by William Neale
Standing on a stepped stand ring, the circular body curving towards the upper rim and decorated with ornamental steps on the profiled upper edge.
A beautifully shaped Art Déco sterling silver bowl in almost modern design and of a good gauge.
22.4 cm / 8.81″ diameter, 7.6 cm / 2.99″ tall; 525.4 g / 16.89 oz
William Neale & Son Ltd.
The silversmithy of William Neale was founded in Birmingham in 1850. The silversmithy later changed its name to William Neale & Sons as a partnership of William Neale Sr, William Neale Jr and Arthur Neale and in 1896 built new premises at 29 Warstone Lane, Birmingham. In 1905 the business, meanwhile a silverware factory, became a limited company and traded as William Neale & Sons Ltd. In 1910 another relocation was necessary and the company moved to its premises at 34 Cox Street, St Paul’s Square, Birmingham. In 1941 William Neale & Sons was absorbed by the silverware company Suckling Ltd.
The company mainly produced hollowware such as trays, bowls, beakers, napkin rings, tea services or gravy boats, but apart from a few spoons, no flatware. Silver from William Neale & Sons is always of good manufacturing quality and usually of solid weight.