Item number: 58373
A George III sterling silver teapot on stand,
London 1798 by Peter & Ann Bateman
The teapot standing on a flat base with vertically, subtly curved folds which extend to the upper rim and are ended by the concave shoulder. On top the dome-shaped lid. The spout shaped as a swan neck, the wooden handle made probably of boxwood. The body decorated with fine engraving and on the display side with an ornamentally engraved contemporar monogram “M”. The original base follows the shape of the teapot and is decorated with a central monogram.
Highly elegant sterling silver teapot from the end of the 18th century with original matching stand. The fine engraving decoration is perfectly preserved to all sides and not overpolished.
Stands for teapots were only common in the last third of the 18th century with english silver and soon went out of fashion in the early 19th century, which is why in most cases they were melted down or got lost. It is therefore a delightful detail that the original base of this teapot has been preserved. The design of the curved spout of the teapot was actually only in vogue in the early 19th century, so that this teapot is one of the first to follow this fashionable innovation.
28.1 cm / 11.06″ length, approx. 10.5 cm / 4.13″ width, 16.3 cm / 6.41″ height (to the knob); 490.5 g / 17.3 oz
14.6 cm / 5.74″ length, 11.8 cm / 4.64″ width
Peter and Ann Bateman had a silversmith’s workshop run in partnership in London between 1791 and 1799. Peter Bateman was the son of Hester and Jonathan Bateman. Ann Bateman was Peter’s sister-in-law. The silverware of this workshop was in the neoclassical style and always of particularly good quality.